Wednesday, May 12, 2010

Cheap Saronite Ore?


Recently I've noticed the market price of Saronite Ore dropping like a rock and decided that I needed to take advantage of it. Leaving too much ore available at low prices will depress the prices of Infinite Dust, Titanium Bar, and Bold Scarlet Ruby, among other things. Since I'm heavily involved in these markets, I've got a vested interest in supporting the prices.

I found 100 stacks of Saronite Ore on the AH at a buyout price of 12g50s. Since I'm currently well stocked on Infinite Dust and Titanium Bars I decided that I wasn't really interested in either Prospecting/Shuffling or Transmuting that much of it. Being a little low on Cardinal Rubies I prospected 40 stacks of it to resupply, leaving myself with 60 stacks. So I smelted it into bars and sold it to the closest vendor. I queued up the smelting and walked away to do some work around the house. At 25g per stack of Saronite Bar, I'm just breaking even on this.

Even though I won't make a single copper on those 60 stacks directly, I've likely made significant gold by keeping those cheap mats out of circulation.

Has anyone else ever purchased at break even or a loss just to regulate the market?

2 comments:

  1. I've noticed that Saronite bars sell pretty well on the AH lately, at higher prices than the ore. One can make a profit simply by buying, smelting and reselling.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sougent, that's a great example of paying attention to the markets on your server and using them to your advantage. If I had that same stack of ore again I might consider vendoring only half of them and trying the AH for the rest.

    ReplyDelete